Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Duck Tales


OK, so as you may or may not know, Ethan raises ducks for FFA. They are cute as can be as the photo shows. I like ducks. You don't have to do much, there's not much cost involved and you can carry them, when necessary.

The ducks are a lot larger now than this photo taken a mere two weeks ago. They are all white and weigh between 5 and 8 lbs. each. They do not bite because they are handled daily. But Duck Wrangling is my new past time. Why?

Well, last night there were a series of BAD storms coming through our area. Ethan left for football conditioning at 5, before the storms moved in. I stopped for gas on the way home and noticed the first storm rolling in. Called home to see if Kelly would put the ducks in the garage in the kennel. A dog kennel works really well for overnight protection for ducks (for those considering this). Kelly is totally grossed out about touching the ducks so I told her I would take care of them when I got home.

On the way home, I kept hoping, praying the rain would hold off...just a little while.... but NOOOOO! I got about 2 miles from home when the first drops hit the windshield. By the time I got to the corner of Villa and Derr, I had to wind up my windows. By the time I got to Villa and Rt. 4, it was raining buckets.

So here I am in my work clothes, running down the hill, grabbing a duck and running back up the hill to put them in the garage! In sandals! In the pouring rain! With lightning! Did I tell you about the lightning? It was everywhere. I was just hoping we wouldn't get hit.

By the time I got all three in the garage, I was soaked to the bone. Of course, it being Tuesday, my mom came by to pick me up for bowling. I stood in the rain and told her I would be ready as soon as I changed clothes. She thought it was most amusing.

Oh, and why did I only bring 3 in when there are 6 in the photo. I know, inquiring minds want to know.

About a week ago, it was 10 before Ethan got his ducks in the garage. Kelly told him the ducks were making a lot of noise, but by the time he got to them one was dead and another dying. We think it was a fox or a raccoon. The third went home with another FFA student whose ducks met a similar demise.

Will let you in on my theory. There are 172 students showing ducks at the fair in FFA and 4H this year. I believe the sales committee is trying to eliminate some so there aren't as many.

1 comment:

Myownigloo said...

Oh, I surely hope you're wrong about that. I read the favorite summer post before I read this one. When you described your duck tussle in the rain, I couldn't help but think about those girls and boys trying to grab their cows and pigs in the mud. So at least you weren't covered in mud, but I understand your mom's amusement.