Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day

So this weekend was Labor Day weekend. What does that mean to me? Well, it means an extra day off for the weekend and usually a mandatory (and not always well received) picnic that 'has to take place because it's the last of summer'. Somehow I managed to avoid this scenario, although I am not sure how.

So here's how our weekend went:

Saturday I walked with the church for the Inner City Ministries - a good cause. I walked because its the right thing to do. I walked and knitted a sock. I walked and sweated like a pig in the 90+ temps. It was hot. Steve was going to meet me at the church - he volunteered for food duty. I was at the park talking when I got a call.

DH: What are you doing?
ME: I'm still at the park. Why?
DH: Come over to the church right now.
ME: OK

So I go to the church and TJ, my dog, runs up to me with his face bleeding. What the heck!?!?! Steve used the flatbed truck to bring the grill to the church and TJ loves to ride on the flatbed, so Steve thought it would be all right. On the way to Urbana, the grill shifted, throwing or pushing TJ off the truck. Luckily, it was just a little road rash and nothing serious. He was just scared. I took him home, got him some chicken nuggets and stayed with him.

Later Steve and Baylor decided to go to Illinois for the weekend. Or rather Steve decided that he and Baylor were going. Some day he will figure out his children are adults and need to be asked what their plans are. Baylor, although he knew it would be fun, had other plans that had to be cancelled. Of course he won't tell his dad that he has plans.

So off they went - TJ and I staying home. TJ with injuries and me with class on Monday. That's OK. I spent the weekend finishing up swaps and studying. I got to watch what I wanted to watch on TV, went to a bonfire at the Newmans and never once did I have to put a toilet seat down. It's the little things that make us happy.

Saturday night it poured rain! Lots of wind, rained over 2 inches, blew the door open, etc. I stayed up until the worst went through and went to bed about 1:30. Since I was feeding the steers, I had to be up by 8.

Sunday it continued to rain. I studied, knitted, and cleaned out the fridge. It was glorious. I finished the Mermaid shawl, started a water bottle cozie. just had a great time knitting and reading and doing what I wanted to do. TJ seemed to feel a lot better. Still not 100%, but just stiff and sore.

Monday I had class at 10:20, then I went to Hobby Lobby and the grocery. By the time I got home, the boys were home. Of course Steve was mad because the tarp had blown off the hay outside and Vern didn't even check it. Not my day to babysit! I had a great, if quiet, weekend, so it's all good.

No comments: